Comet Crawlers plunge into action for charity swim in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Our eager team of reporters at the Comet will be donning their goggles and Speedo finery to take part in a charity swimming race next Saturday, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
The ‘Comet Crawlers’ – made up of Oliver Pritchard, Rebecca Day and Mark Hemmings – will be tackling the Macmillan Lido Challenge at Letchworth Outdoor Pool.
The relay team will be swimming 40 lengths between them, and be joined on the day by Clare Barter, from Bragbury End in Stevenage, who has a very personal reason for taking part.
Last year her sister Marianne was diagnosed with cervical cancer and then given the all clear this February, so Clare wants to give something back for the cause that supported them throughout.
Clare said: “I was so grateful to use such an amazing, charity-run helpline that I felt I should do something to help fund it.
You may also want to watch:
“The Macmillan Letchworth lido swim popped up as a suggestion on my Facebook page, and it seemed like the perfect challenge.
“I have been motivated by the courage, strength and resilience of my sister during and after her traumatic diagnosis and treatment.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“Swimming 2km will be a breeze in comparison.”
Sponsor the Comet team here.