Comet country goes Royal Wedding crazy
THE party spirit is well and truly alive in Comet country, with Hertfordshire officially receiving more applications than any other county for a good old royal knees up.
Herts County Council (HCC) has received 298 applications for residential street parties, far outstripping the number of applications elsewhere in the country.
Of those 298, 36 of the street celebrations are registered in North Herts and 17 in Stevenage.
Central Beds Council has so far received 13 street party requests, with applications shutting on Tuesday.
Rob Smith, assistant director of transport management at HCC, said: “It’s fantastic that Hertfordshire’s residents have shown such enthusiasm for this special day and we’re glad we’ve been able to help so many communities come together and celebrate.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to make it as easy as possible for residents to apply for a royal wedding street party.
“Going by the large number of applications we’ve received, the decision to waive the normal road closure fee has clearly done the trick.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
The Comet wants to know how you are celebrating the big event.
Are you stocking up on the bunting and bulk buying the jelly in preparation for a big party?
Perhaps you’re getting married on the same day as Wills and Kate, or have your own unique way of celebrating.
Whatever it is, let us know by emailing the newsdesk at email@example.com or ringing on 01438 866200.
Don’t forget to send us your pictures after your royal event either on the email address above.