Comet country gears up for Macmillan coffee mornings
A LEADING cancer charity is in search of Comet country’s craziest fundraisers for its annual coffee morning, to raise tens of thousands to tackle the killer disease.
The event run by Macmillan Cancer Support, which this year takes place on Friday, September 30, raised �170,000 in Hertfordshire alone last year to help the 42 per cent of people who will get the disease at some time in their lives.
This year is extra special because it is not only 100 years since Macmillan was founded but also the 21st birthday of the world’s biggest coffee meeting.
Macmillan’s Hertfordshire fundraiser Courtney Halifax said: “We are celebrating the help we have been able to provide to people living with cancer over the last 100 years, as well as the help we have received from our fantastic fundraisers, without whom reaching a centenary would have been a distant dream.
“This year in Hertfordshire we want the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning to be all about making it your own.”
You may also want to watch:
There are already 84 coffee mornings set to take place in Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth GC on September 30, including a public coffee meeting in Stevenage town centre. Barclays Bank in Stevenage and Letchworth GC will also be hosting a coffee meeting, as will The Crown pub in Hitchin.
Helen McAndrew, assistant manager of Barclays in Stevenage, said: “We will be running an all day event geared towards raising as much money for Macmillan Cancer care as possible.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 7 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 10 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
To register for the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning call 0845 602 1315 or visit macmillan.org.uk/coffee