Comet country families tackle childhood obesity
FAMILIES in Comet Country are to be involved in the pilot of a huge nationwide scheme to help tackle childhood obesity. Stevenage is one of nine areas trying out the unique project, which gets the whole family involved in healthy eating and a more active
FAMILIES in Comet Country are to be involved in the pilot of a huge nationwide scheme to help tackle childhood obesity.
Stevenage is one of nine areas trying out the unique project, which gets the whole family involved in healthy eating and a more active lifestyle.
Eventually 450 projects will run across the country in a partnership between supermarket giant Sainsbury's and obesity programme MEND - Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It!
The programme in Stevenage will be run by Janine Jackson and Julia Stables, Sainsbury's food advisors, with the assistance of a local Youth Sport Trust exercise trainer.
You may also want to watch:
Activities on the programme include practical demonstrations, tips on healthy foods and advice on reading food labels, as well as weekly games and sporting activities.
Janine said: "This is a great opportunity to get out in the local community and make a difference to families living in the area in a very practical way.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
"MEND is a great programme that actively tackles childhood obesity by involving the whole family in making healthier choices and following an active lifestyle.
"I'm very much looking to introducing this fantastic scheme to families in the Stevenage area."
The programme will take place on Monday and Wednesday evenings at Marriotts School from Monday, January 29.
Leaflets with details on how to sign up have been sent to local schools and doctors' surgeries and you can also register by calling MEND on 020 7168 7565.