Comet country actor to play Q in Bond film Skyfall
FORMER Comet country school pupil Ben Whishaw has been cast as Q in the new Bond film Skyfall.
Ben, who was born in Clifton and attended Henlow Middle School and Clifton’s Samuel Whitbread Community College, will follow in the footsteps of actor John Cleese as 007’s gadget designer.
At the age of 31, Whishaw is more than a decade younger than Bond actor Daniel Craig – a first for the Q character.
Ben was a member of the Bancroft Players Youth Theatre at Hitchin’s Queen Mother Theatre. Perhaps most notably he played concentration camp survivor Primo Levi in If This is a Man – a play which was taken to the Edinburgh Festival in 1995, where it was well received.
In 2004, Ben graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and landed the role of Hamlet in Trevor Nunn’s 2004 production.
You may also want to watch:
The actor has also played Ariel in Julie Taymor’s film adaptation of The Tempest, opposite Dame Helen Mirren, and recently starred in the BBC’s 1950s news drama The Hour.
He is due to play Richard II in a new BBC Shakespeare adaptation, which is part of next year’s cultural programming to coincide with the Olympics.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Skyfall, the 23rd Bond film, is due out next year.