Comet Community Awards nominee: Coach is stil a knockout at Stevenage boxing club
- Credit: Archant
A BOXING trainer who could “still do 10 rounds in the ring himself” at the age of 75 has been nominated for a Comet Community Award.
Terry Emberson, of Stevenage, has been with Stevenage Amateur Boxing Club since 1999.
During this time, he has trained boxers who have won more than 55 national or European titles, including at least two national boxing titles each year. He has also trained women amateur boxing association finalists.
Stevenage Amateur Boxing Club’s Geoff Glencross, who nominated Terry for Lifetime Achievement and Valiant Volunteer following the awards launch last week, said: “Terry has a personal interest in all he trains; he is respected by all, is hard working and dedicated to the sport. He is always prepared to go the extra mile to support both the club and the individual. Although there are over 200 members at the club, Terry’s policy is to get to know each person individually. He believes that without knowing them and their background you can’t know what makes them tick, or how to start their training.”
Mr Glencross, who is also a trainer at the club, added: “This is a man who could still do 10 rounds – and come out of the ring as a winner.”
The Comet Community Awards aim to recognise inspirational people, and this year’s 12 award categories include Role Model of the Year, Charity Champion, Good Neighbour, Young Achiever, Teacher of the Year, and Great and Green.
The deadline for entry is Friday, April 26, at 5pm.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 9 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 10 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
Finalists for the 2013 awards will be invited to a ceremony at Icknield Centre, Letchworth GC, on Friday, May 17, where winners in each category will be crowned.
If there’s someone you think deserves to be recognised, like Terry, visit www.cometcommunityawards.co.uk and fill in the form.