Comet Community Awards 2018: Know an unsung hero? Nominate them!
- Credit: Archant
Do you know an unsung hero that deserves to be recognised? Well now is your time to act as the Comet Community Awards 2018 launches today.
The annual awards, now in its 14th year, offers readers the chance to salute and thank members of our community who go the extra mile every day – but perhaps don’t get the public recognition they rightly deserve.
Once again there are 12 categories to choose from – ranging from Young Achiever to Carer of the Year – and nominations are being accepted from today.
This year will see the May ceremony return to Hotel Cromwell in Stevenage High Street, where sponsors and the Comet’s events team gathered to celebrate the 2018 launch.
Comet editor Nick Gill said: “My first community awards – back in 2010 when I was a trainee reporter –was held at the Cromwell and the emotion felt in the room that night has always stayed with me.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great to be back there this year and I would urge everyone reading this who knows someone who deserves a special night to please nominate them – you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.”
Sue Murray, manager of Hertfordshire County Council’s Fostering Recruitment Team, which sponsors the Valiant Volunteer category, said: “Through our work with foster carers, we recognise how valuable volunteers are within the local community and the impact they have in making a positive difference to people’s lives.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“Volunteers freely give up their time to help others, often with very little recognition. So we are delighted that their contribution is highlighted and appreciated through these awards.”
To view all 12 categories and nominate someone visit cometcommunityawards.co.uk.