Hitchin Hates Litter - Meet our Hitchin hero who has been tidying Windmill Hill
- Credit: Archant
As part of our anti-littering awareness campaign, we’re highlighting the Hitchin heroes who have been making a real difference in keeping their community tidy.
This week, we’re featuring Grace Williams who has lived just off Windmill Hill since 2009.
For the last month, she’s been setting her alarm for 7am and getting out and picking up general waste and litter from parts of Windmill Hill every morning.
She said: “Obviously, people have been taking advantage of that space during the summer and a lot of litter has been left behind.
“I asked myself, why not? It’s doing something useful and getting me out in the fresh air.
You may also want to watch:
“I get myself out there with my bag, my Marigolds and a litter picker for 30 minutes or so. It would be lovely to have other people come and help and tackle some of the other parts of Windmill Hill.
“I don’t think the council has the resources to tackle the problem, and we as residents need to show more responsibility.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
As part of our Hitchin Hates Litter campaign, we’re organising a weekly community clean up in Hitchin throughout the month of September.
Got a Hitchin Hero who you think we should feature? Want to get involved in our #HitchinHatesLitter campaign? Please get in touch with Jacob.Thorburn@archant.co.uk.