'Come dine with me' - appeal of lonely stevenage woman
COME dine with me - that is the appeal of a lonely lady to others feeling isolated in the community. At the beginning of the year Phyllis Ayres, of Austen Paths in Stevenage, made a resolution to do something about her loneliness. I thought I m just not
COME dine with me - that is the appeal of a lonely lady to others feeling isolated in the community.
At the beginning of the year Phyllis Ayres, of Austen Paths in Stevenage, made a resolution to do something about her loneliness.
"I thought I'm just not going to sit alone on my own on a Sunday any more," she said. "I have two sons who lead busy lives, and I am lonely."
The 65-year-old advertised in The Comet, asking other readers feeling isolated to have Sunday lunch with her. Her unusual proposal received some interest from readers.
You may also want to watch:
"We have been out for some meals on a Sunday, and a couple of the ladies have started going line dancing together," she said.
"Now the weather is getting a little better, I have got all the local coach brochures and hope to go to the Southend Airshow at the end of May."
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 9 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
She added: "I want to reach out to other people, and make a little group of companions."
Ms Ayres, who hopes to organise more day trips in the future, wants to encourage men and women of all ages, who feel isolated, to get in touch with her on 01438 228022. "If you are lonely, come and join us," she said.