Come and discuss the merits or faults of different artworks at a Stevenage group
- Credit: Archant
An arts group is inviting people to come and discuss their views on the work of the famous Welsh portrait artist Gwen John.
The Stevenage Art Appreciation and Discussion Group is holding its monthly meeting on Tuesday, May 26, at 10.30am.
Its organiser Mike Devenish is appealing for people to come forward, regardless of their knowledge on the subject, and say what they think about the artist’s work.
He said: “It’s an informal group where we have chat on the artist. Everyone is encouraged to contribute and there are no wrong opinions. It’s a friendly group and we are always interested to hear different opinions on pieces.”
The group meets once a month and picks a separate artist to discuss each time.
This month they chose Miss John, who spent most of her life in France and died only weeks after the Nazi invasion in 1939.
She was overshadowed during her life by her more well-known brother Augustus but became more famous after her death for her portraits of unnamed women sitting alone.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
The group meets at a private house. For more and to attend email Mike on email@example.com.