College fails to secure funding for rebuild
North Herts College has failed to make the shortlist for funding to rebuild its Hitchin campus. The list of further education colleges which could still receive funding from the government for major rebuilding work was announced today but the college
North Hertfordshire College has failed to make the shortlist for funding to rebuild its Hitchin campus.
The list of further education colleges which could still receive funding from the government for major rebuilding work was announced today but the college which had hoped to secure �45m, is not on it.
The Learning and Skills Council (LSC) announced that the college, which had spent thousands on developer plans, failed to make the last 13. Over 180 projects were considered.
Geoff Russell, LSC chief executive, said those selected were: "The projects that will bring the greatest benefit to learners and communities across the country. They will have a substantial impact on the education and skills environment in their locality by transforming the condition of college buildings. In conjunction with wider regeneration projects to which they are integral, they will help to revitalise communities."
You may also want to watch:
Funds which had been made available from the government's Further Education Capital programme were drastically cut earlier this year, leaving colleges fighting for a diminished pot of money.
The LSC said colleges which have not been selected this year can reapply in the autumn for funding although the size and scope of the programme would depend on the outcome of the next spending review period in 2011 to 2012.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
A spokesman also said the government had a contingency fund to mitigate the impact of developer costs incurred on failed projects.