Coffee morning fundraiser is a piece of cake for service users of a Letchworth charity
- Credit: Archant
Usually putting the kettle on is a sign to take a break and relax, but not for service users of a Letchworth-based charity, who were busy running a coffee morning on Saturday to raise funds for the charity that supports them.
Clients and staff from Leisure Direct – which organises activities for adults with learning disabilities in Stevenage and North Herts – held the fundraiser at Church House in Hitchin.
Organiser Claire Smith said: “Our supporters and members of the public came in to have a coffee and cake, which was really nice to see. We’ve raised £175 so far and still have cakes to sell.
“It proved good for team building and our members can feel a sense of pride in being involved in fundraising for their charity.”
In its 21st year, the charity is run from the Icknield Centre, and promotes different activities for vulnerable adults who could suffer social isolation.
You may also want to watch:
These include go karting, day trips, table tennis and bowling.
“We currently have 144 members, whose ages range from 18 to over 70. They pay a yearly fee and then can take part in as many activities as they wish,” Claire added.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 7 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
Members make their own contributions to the charity by taking part in fundraising events, including sponsored swims and walks and helping with a bag packing fundraiser at Morrisons in Letchworth later this year.