Church phone mast plans halted
A PHONE mast will not be located on top of a church after residents petitioned against its installation. Stevenage Borough Council decided Holy Trinity Church in the Old Town would not be a suitable location for a phone mast. Before the planning applica
A PHONE mast will not be located on top of a church after residents petitioned against its installation.
Stevenage Borough Council decided Holy Trinity Church in the Old Town would not be a suitable location for a phone mast.
Before the planning application was decided, residents led by Peter Craig opposed the mast on health grounds.
If the application had gone ahead the church could have received £5,000 a year by having the mast on its roof, money which the Rev Geoff Tickner said would have helped the church continue with its community work.
Mr Craig told The Comet: "I am delighted that Stevenage Borough Council has decided to refuse planning permission as the mast was clearly not appropriate to the area.
"I very much appreciate the support of the many people in the local community who shared this view and know that they will be very pleased too."
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 8 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 9 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
A council spokesman said: "Planning permission was refused because the proposed works would damage and be out of keeping with this Grade II listed building and would harm the appearance of the conservation area.
"In addition, the applicants had not carried out a thorough search of alternative sites for the mast.