Christmas lights switched on in Hitchin and Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
The festive period is really upon us, as two Comet country towns had their Christmas lights switched on.
The lights in Hitchin were turned on by Gabz Gardiner, star of this year’s ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent, after she treated the audience to a live performance on Friday.
The entertainment started at 2.30pm, with music, stalls and children’s entertainment. The Christmas Belles performed and the evening ended with a performance by Genie and the Jivebombers.
Also on Friday, Letchworth GC had its festive lights switched on. The event took place in Leys Square, with entertainment from school choirs, Rapsodini, Mr Speaker, and the Fabulous Lounge Swingers. Santa also made an appearance, with fireworks and carols from Letchworth’s Salvation Army Band concluding the night.
Baldock’s lights were lit on Saturday, with this Saturday seeing the return of the children’s ice rink to High Street. Hourly skate sessions, which cost £4, must be booked in advance at www.baldocktown.co.uk or at the m-viron phone shop on Whitehorse Street in Baldock.
Stevenage’s Christmas lights switch-on is set to take place on Thursday from 4pm, when there will be a funfair, face painting and an appearance from Santa. There will be performances from Sophie Khoury, The Enlights, Reese Robinson and Roxy Searle. The cast of Cinderella, this year’s pantomine at the Gordon Craig Theatre, will also be making an appearance.
Star of BBC One’s The Voice, Nadeem Leigh, and ITV1’S Britain’s Got Talent, Gabz Gardiner, will take to the stage before the switch-on at 6.30pm, followed by a fireworks display.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 9 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf