Chris Day the Jolly Green Giant
Keeper delighted with penalty save in MK Dons victory
BORO ‘keeper Chris Day said he was relieved to save Peter Leven’s spot kick in the penalty shoot-out win over MK Dons as he was starting to feel like Peter Shilton.
“I was just trying to dance around on the line and look like the Jolly Green Giant,” Day told The Comet just moments after coming off the stadium:mk pitch.
“It was good to save that one at the end because I was starting to feel like Peter Shilton at Italia ‘90 going the right way all the time but not stopping them but I got a hand on it and it’s a fantastic feeling.”
Boro were trailing 1-0 five minutes into injury time when Darius Charles levelled the scores to take the match into extra time, and Day believes Charles’ goal characterised a “fanastic team spirit”.
“It was great. Take everything aside, the character to score in the last minute and to never say never is what this team’s about.
“What a fanastic night for the club. I didn’t even know who had scored, and I didn’t care. I just saw the ball in the back of the net and was delighted.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes