Chipping in with advice

PUBLISHED: 11:44 16 February 2006 | UPDATED: 09:37 06 May 2010

This fire was caused by a chip pan

This fire was caused by a chip pan

THOUSANDS of people are injured by chip pan fires each year. And one fifth of all accidental house fires are caused by the use of chip pans. So last week, during National Chip Week, Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue service issued fire guidelines to help res

THOUSANDS of people are injured by chip pan fires each year.

And one fifth of all accidental house fires are caused by the use of chip pans.

So last week, during National Chip Week, Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue service issued fire guidelines to help residents enjoy their favourite food while avoiding serious accidents.

"Chip pan fires are extremely dangerous and cause serious damage," said John Parker, from the fire and rescue community safety division.

"If you choose to deep fry your chips, be extremely careful and constantly think about what you are doing.

"If you do have a chip pan fire, never use water on it - instead turn off the heat if it's safe to do so and call the fire service immediately."

Tips for deep frying include:

* Don't ever leave the pan unattended - fire starts when your attention stops.

* If the oil starts to smoke, don't put the food in. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.

* Don't be tempted to deep fry chips if you've consumed alcohol.

* Never fill a chip pan more than one third full of oil.

* Dry food before putting it in - water can make the oil explode.

* For advice or a free home fire safety check call 0800 587 3347.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet