Children’s author Richard Mayers shares new book at Hitchin school
- Credit: Archant
An author visited a Hitchin primary school on Tuesday to share his new book with the children.
Richard Mayers, author of the Spikez series, showed his latest hedgehog-themed picture book to kids from Years 1 and 2 at Samuel Lucas JMI – showing the illustrations on an interactive whiteboard and reading the story to them.
Samuel Lucas deputy head Lorraine Painter said the Year 1 group loved listening to the yet-to-be published story and hearing about how illustrations in the book were created from collages of photos and drawings.
The Year 2 children also enjoyed the story, and asked questions such as when Richard first wrote a book.
Richard gave the children tips about writing, telling them to write about what they know and to look, listen and ask questions.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Painter said: “All our pupils are going to be working on their 500-word stories for the Radio 2 competition, so it was really good for the Year 2 children to meet a real author and get some ideas.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 10 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes