Cheltenham Town v Stevenage preview
Boro looking for first away win of the season
Cheltenham Town v Stevenage
npower League 2
Saturday, September 11 – 3pm
You may also want to watch:
Cheltenham go into this, their third home game of the season, with a 100 per cent record at the Abbey Business Stadium as wins over Burton Albion and Crewe have helped Mark Yates’ side to 12th in League 2.
Last time out in the league Cheltenham went down to a 3-1 defeat away to bottom side Barnet and that defeat led to Yates suggesting he could ring the changes before the visit of Stevenage on Saturday.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
His team have also conceded more goals than any other in the league this season (13).
Frankie Atrus cracked a fibula in the Barnet game and will be out for six weeks, while Martin Riley (hamstring) is also likely to miss out.
Top scorer Wesley Thomas (five goals so far this season) is likely to start after picking up a knock at Barnet.
Boro have played twice away from home this season and have picked up one point.
They drew 1-1 with Aldershot a fortnight ago on their last trip away from the Lamex but were unlucky to sink to a single goal defeat to Bradford in the second game of the season.
Against Crewe last Saturday Boro held on with 10 men to take a point from the game after midfielder Stacy Long had been sent off.
The game was the seventh of the season so far and Boro have yet to keep a clean sheet.
Top scorer Charlie Griffin returned to the starting line-up for the Crewe game while Yemi Odubade has played the last two games and has showed no adverse effects of the hip injury he picked up at Bradford.
Chris Beardsley is out with a dislocated shoulder, Stacy Long is suspended while Darren Murphy broke his leg midweek in a reserve team fixture and will be out of action until well into the New Year.
Last five league results
Barnet (A) lost 3-1
Burton Albion (H) won 2-1
Rotherham United (A) lost 6-4
Crewe Alexandra (H) won 3-2
Gillingham (A) drawn 1-1
Crewe Alexandra (H) drawn 1-1
Aldershot (A) drawn 1-1
Stockport County (H) won 3-1
Bradford City (A) lost 1-0
Macclesfield Town (H) drawn 2-2
One to watch
Wesley Thomas (Cheltenham Town) – new signing this season, the striker is having his best campaign for nearly three years with five goals to his name.
Michael Bostwick (Stevenage) – struggled against Crewe Alexandra on Saturday and Boro boss Graham Westley will be looking for more from his midfield powerhouse on Saturday