Chelsea monkey gesture fan reported to be from Letchworth
A CHELSEA fan who was photographed appearing to make a monkey gesture close to a black Manchester United player last night (Wednesday) is reported to be from Letchworth GC.
The man, who was sitting in the front row during the Capital One Cup clash at Stamford Bridge, has not been arrested but both the Metropolitan Police and Chelsea FC have launched an investigation into the incident.
The image appeared to the show the Blues fan making an alleged racist gesture near to England forward Danny Welbeck.
A spokesman for Chelsea FC said: “Chelsea Football Club can confirm we are investigating an incident involving a member of the crowd at last night’s game against Manchester United.
“The club will be examining all available footage and asks anyone who can identify the individual to contact the club.
You may also want to watch:
“Chelsea FC is committed to removing all forms of discrimination and if we have sufficient evidence we will take the strongest possible action, including supporting criminal prosecution.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years