Charity challenge is snow joke
A young woman from Stevenage is spending the winter training in tough Arctic conditions in preparation for a challenging charity trek. Stephanie Gochin, 24, is in chilly Lapland before travelling to Peru on the Explore the Inca Trail in aid of her chosen
A young woman from Stevenage is spending the winter training in tough Arctic conditions in preparation for a challenging charity trek.
Stephanie Gochin, 24, is in chilly Lapland before travelling to Peru on the Explore the Inca Trail in aid of her chosen charity, the Willow Foundation.
The training involves skiing and trudging through the snow for a couple of hours a day, which Ms Gochin is combining with her job as a chalet manager, looking after holiday makers.
The 10-day trek, beginning on April 14, will be spent hiking for eight hours a day through jungle at an altitude of 4000 metres, culminating in her arrival at the ancient city of Machu Picchu.
The trek is in aid of the Willow Foundation, a national charity which organises special days for seriously ill adults aged 16-40.
Ms Gochin said: "For some, a special day is their last chance to fulfil a dream and creates precious memories for the future. By trekking the Inca Trail I will fulfil my dream, while raising money to help others to fulfil theirs."
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
She is looking for people to help her raise money for the charity. To find out how, visit www.justgiving.com/stephaniegochin
To find out more about the Willow Foundation, visit www.willowfoundation.org.uk or call 01707 259 777.