Charity cash is stolen
A CHARITY collection box has been stolen from a dental surgery. Christmas is the busiest time of year for the Samaritans, but vital donations intended for the charity have been swiped from the reception of the Garden City Surgery, of Station Road, Letchwo
A CHARITY collection box has been stolen from a dental surgery.
Christmas is the busiest time of year for the Samaritans, but vital donations intended for the charity have been swiped from the reception of the Garden City Surgery, of Station Road, Letchworth GC.
Volunteers at the North Herts branch of the Samaritans, of Nuns Close, Hitchin, said they were truly shocked that someone could be so callous as to steal from a charity.
A spokesman for the branch said: "The box, which was nearly full and due for collection, was taken by someone who obviously doesn't realise how important these funds are to the Samaritans.
"To enable us to keep our branch and lines open 24/7 we rely on the kindness of local people to make donations. We receive no government funding.
"Shame on whoever stole the money donated to us by kind people.
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 6 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Village football club premises gets facelift thanks to bank staff
- 10 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
"It's truly unbelievable."
He added: "As many people enjoy getting together with family or friends, Christmas is a time when those alone feel even more isolated, so the festive season will see a rise in calls.
"As always, Samaritans is open throughout the Christmas period, just like every other day of the year.
"We offer confidential, non-judgemental support to everybody, everywhere in the UK and Ireland.