Judges meet to decide North Herts volunteer awards winners
- Credit: Milan Johnston
The judges for an achievement awards which recognises the work of volunteers in North Herts have met to decide this year’s winners.
The Chairman’s Volunteer Achievement Awards 2019, organised by North Herts District Council and backed by the Comet, takes place on February 8 as part of NHDC’s civic reception.
Ahead of the awards night, judges from sponsors Willmott Dixon, North Herts CVS and the Comet met with NHDC chairman John Bishop at the council’s Letchworth offices on Thursday to go through the nominations for five separate categories – the Caring Award, Dedication Award, Green Award, Sporting Achievement Award, and Young Star Award – and pick the winners.
Councillor Bishop said: “The standard of nominations was extremely high this year. It’s incredible the amount of volunteer hours that support our local communities and help those who are vulnerable or just make life a little better for everyone.
“The hardest category was the dedication award that targets people who work tirelessly, often for decades, and dedicate their free time to helping others.
You may also want to watch:
The judges had a really tough time deciding who was the most dedicated and if possible it would have been great to reward them all in some way.
“Hopefully the nomination itself will go some way to ensure that these people know how valued they are in the local community.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
Winners are being notified this week, as well as those who received nominations.
For more information about the awards, visit north-herts.gov.uk/home/community/chairmans-volunteer-achievement-awards.