Cerebral palsy support group reaches out to parents and carers
A FLEDGLING support group for parents and carers of children with cerebral palsy or epilepsy is reaching out to help more people.
Cherish, based at Oughton Children’s Centre in Hitchin, was set up a year ago by mums Helen Ruggles and Queenta Tafon, who both have children with cerebral palsy.
Carolyn Rathband, whose six-year-old son Thomas has hemiplegia – a form of cerebral palsy which has caused weakness down one side of his body – joined the group in June.
Carolyn, who lives in Stane Street in Baldock, said: “We provide support to families of children with cerebral palsy and/or epilepsy - we are the only group of this kind in North Herts.
“We are trying to raise awareness of our group so that we can help as many parents as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“It provides the chance to meet people in similar situations and get some help from people further down the line, because it can be a bit bewildering.
“We want to pull all our knowledge together and empower people.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
There are currently about 10 members of the group, who meet at Oughton Children’s Centre from 10am until noon on every last Tuesday in the month.
Cherish is a free support group and there is a toy library, so children are welcome.
Puddleducks Day Nursery in Baldock, which Carolyn’s three-year-old daughter Eliza attends, held a pyjama day and raised almost �90 for Cherish.
If you would like more information about Cherish, or are interested in joining the group, email Cherishgroup.email@example.com or pop along to one of the monthly meetings.