Central Beds Council raises flag ahead of Armed Forces Day this Saturday
- Credit: Keith Mayhew/People Press
Central Bedfordshire Council raised the flag for our servicemen and women ahead of Armed Forces Day at a special ceremony held yesterday.
The flag-raising ceremony at the council’s offices in Chicksands was attended by the Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire, Helen Nellis – who raised the special Armed Forces Day flag, the Bedfordshire High Sheriff Julian Polehill and council chairman Councillor Fiona Chapman.
Other guests included the council leader Councillor James Jamieson, and Councillor Mark Versallion – who is also the council’s Armed Forces Community Covenant Champion.
Specially-invited commanding officers and personnel from the Joint Intelligent Training Group (Chicksands), RAF Henlow, reserve and cadet forces and armed forces support organisations were also present at the event, along with standard bearers from the Royal British Legion.
Mr Jamieson said: “It was a great honour to again hold this ceremony at the Central Bedfordshire Council offices, and show our support for the tremendous work carried out by our armed forces and the voluntary organisations who look after serving and former armed forces personnel and their families.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Versallion, who was also a naval officer in the reserves, said: “Armed Forces Day – in this, its 10th year – is a time to reflect on conflicts past and present, and honour the sacrifices made by those who serve or have served.
“This year marks 100 years since the RAF was formed, so it is opportune to have this time of reflection and tribute.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 8 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
Armed Forces Day is this year on Saturday, June 30.