Celebration to open garden
A PARTY is being held to mark the opening of a sensory garden at a residential home. The celebrations are being held at Allison House Residential Home in Swan Lane, Sandy, on Saturday where the attractions will include a raffle, tombola, cakes stall and c
A PARTY is being held to mark the opening of a sensory garden at a residential home.
The celebrations are being held at Allison House Residential Home in Swan Lane, Sandy, on Saturday where the attractions will include a raffle, tombola, cakes stall and cream teas.
Allison House is one of 39 BUPA care homes across the UK that has developed a sensory garden in 2006. This was the fifth year BUPA has teamed up with national horticultural charity Thrive to develop gardens specifically designed to stimulate the senses and invited local green-fingered volunteers to get fit, get gardening and help create the gardens.
Allison House's sensory garden has been developed over the last few months to stimulate residents' senses.
Features of the garden include a pergola, raised flower beds and a trellis. There are also scented and colourful plants including honeysuckle and lavender.
Relatives of residents and members of the community have helped staff and residents create the garden.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 4 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 5 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
Lynda Bettles, activities organiser at the home, said: "The sensory garden project has been very rewarding. Our garden will provide a stimulating and relaxing environment for the residents to enjoy with their friends and relatives.