Celebrating silver at homes complex
A SHELTERED housing scheme is about to mark its first quarter of a century with a series of special events.
It was in June 1986 when Silkin Court, in the Poplars area of Stevenage, welcomed its first tenants after being officially opened by Lord Silkin.
A group organising the silver jubilee celebrations is looking for anyone with photographs and memories to share about the building, its residents and staff.
During next month there will be a range of activities and celebrations taking place at the scheme.
As part of these, residents and staff would like to hear from anyone who remembers Silkin Court’s first 25 years and are inviting them to take part in a reminiscence project on Monday, June 13.
Stevenage Homes supported housing officer Angela Draper, who is leading the celebrations, said. ‘Many people have lived at Silkin Court. They have enjoyed the friendships they formed here and found the support they need to continue to live independently.
“Unfortunately some of our former residents have since passed away, but we hope that their relatives will feel able to share their memories of when their loved ones lived here.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 4 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 5 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 6 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 9 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
- 10 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
The pictures and recollections will be displayed in the entrance lobby and communal areas of the scheme where residents and visitors taking part in the month-long programme of activities can enjoy them.
Selected pictures and memories will also feature in Stevenage Homes’ quarterly magazine and at www.stevenagehomes.org.uk Some will also be collected into a keepsake box that will be available for people taking part in the events.
Pictures and stories can be sent to email@example.com or posted to Angela Draper at Silkin Court, Cotney Croft, Poplars, Stevenage, Herts SG2 9PT by Friday, May 27.