CCTV tracks down drink-driver in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Police arrested a woman motorist on suspicion of drink-driving in Letchworth, after being alerted by a CCTV controller more than seven miles away.
Just after midnight on January 9, the motorist was spotted by the controller leaving The Three Magnets pub in Letchworth town centre - "staggering before getting into a car".
The police were alerted and caught up with the vehicle, at which point the woman was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
The case is one of six examples of the work of the Hertfordshire CCTV Partnership to be highlighted in a report to the latest meeting of the Joint CCTV Executive this month. In other examples, the CCTV controllers are reported to have spotted and then tracked those suspected of carrying a knife and a handgun, until police arrived.
The partnership is made up of Stevenage and Hertsmere borough councils, and North Hertfordshire and East Hertfordshire district councils.
You may also want to watch:
It operates a 24-hour CCTV control and monitoring room, based in Stevenage, which is directly linked to the police headquarters control room, in Welwyn Garden City.
And - with a network of cameras across the four authorities - it aims to reduce the fear of crime in public, residential and business areas, as well as at schools.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 3 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 4 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?