CCTV appeal after Stevenage mugging is stopped by passer-by
- Credit: Archant
A passer-by stopped a mugging in Stevenage on Thursday – and police have today released a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to as part of their investigation.
Between 5.30pm and 5.35pm on Thursday, a woman aged in her 50s was walking along the underpass in Fairlands Way when she was approached from behind by a man who grabbed her, causing her to fall to the ground.
He then tried to snatch her handbag, but was disturbed by a passer-by and made off in the direction of Columbus Close.
Det Sgt Phoebe Biggs, who is investigating, said: “We would like to speak to the man pictured as he may have information that could assist our enquiries.
“I would also like to speak to the person that witnessed the incident in the underpass as they will have information that can help us.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I would like to reassure the public that we are working hard to identify the person responsible for this offence and proactive patrols have been increased in the local area to help keep the public safe.”
Anyone who recognises the man pictured or has any information that could help the investigation should call Det Sgt Biggs on 101, quoting crime reference E1/17/8476, or report information online at herts.police.uk/report.
Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will not go to court.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain