CCTV appeal after alleged Letchworth kidnap and blackmail
- Credit: Archant
A man was allegedly kidnapped in Letchworth and taken to Essex before managing to escape – and officers have today issued CCTV images of someone they want to speak to as part of their enquiries.
The incident happened on Sunday, January 14, at about 10.15am. A man aged in his 30s was driving along Icknield Way when he was reportedly stopped by what he believed to be an unmarked police vehicle.
It is alleged that he was forced into the vehicle and taken to the Essex town of Maldon, where he successfully mounted an escape.
Det Sgt Pat Chapman of the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit said: “Two people have been arrested and charged in connection with this incident while another person is currently on bail while our enquiries continue.
“We now need to speak to the man pictured as he may have vital information that could assist our enquiries. Anyone who recognises him is asked to get in touch as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“I understand that this type of offence will cause concern within the local community but we believe it was an isolated and targeted incident and there have been no other crimes of this nature in the local area.
“The victim is now safe and is being supported by specialist officers from the Major Crime Unit.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Karl Lawrence, 30, of Old Mill Place in Romford, has been charged with kidnap, robbery and blackmail. He has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at St Albans Crown Court on Friday, March 16.
Barry Baillie, 41, of Walman House in Billericay, has been charged with conspiracy to kidnap. He has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at St Albans Crown Court on Friday, March 16.
A 42-year-old man from Heybridge in Essex has been arrested on suspicion of kidnap, and has been bailed until May 4.
Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact Det Con Tanzeem Siddiqui by emailing email@example.com, call 101 and quote crime reference G2/18/125, or report information online at herts.police.uk/report.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will never need to go to court.