Cautious welcome to plans for station facelifts
TWO railway stations in Comet country could be in line for major upgrades. Hitchin and Letchworth GC stations are to be considered for improvements as part of the Department for Transport s (DfT) £370m Access for All programme which is meant to address is
TWO railway stations in Comet country could be in line for major upgrades.
Hitchin and Letchworth GC stations are to be considered for improvements as part of the Department for Transport's (DfT) £370m Access for All programme which is meant to address issues faced by disabled passengers using railway stations.
First Capital Connect (FCC) has asked Network Rail to conduct feasibility studies at both stations.
The study will examine whether a bridge, with a ramp, could be built across the tracks at Hitchin or whether the underpass should be extended at the southbound platform and a lift installed so people can get to the platform by 2015.
It will also examine whether the service lifts at Letchworth GC could be transformed into passenger lifts by between 2009 and 2011.
Speaking about the announcement, Herts North East MP Oliver Heald, who is one of many who has been campaigning for years for improvements to Letchworth GC station, said: "After many meetings over many years, I give the news about the lifts a cautious welcome but 2009-2011 is disappointing.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 3 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 7 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 8 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 9 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 10 Still more to come too says Brett Donnelly as Stotfold's title challenge is given a boost