Cash meant for veterans taken in burglary as Royal British Legion in Knebworth is targeted twice in a week
- Credit: Archant
Charity cash intended for serving forces personnel and veterans has been taken in a midnight burglary in Knebworth in which more than £3,000 of damage was caused.
Police made an arrest on Friday after the Royal British Legion in Gun Lane was hit twice in a week.
The first incident occurred between 1.45am and 2.05am on Tuesday, April 5. Intruders forced entry through a shutter and damaged interior doors.
Once inside they took money from a cash tin and broke the club’s pool tables and jukebox open to get to more cash. Security lights were smashed and a charity box was found in pieces outside the club.
The bar manager at the Gun Lane club, Vicky Jeromson, said: “They took £1,000 in cash that first time.
You may also want to watch:
“They tried again a week later, coming in through the roof, but that time they got nothing.”
During the second burglary attempt, between 3.30am and 4.50am on Tuesday, April 12, someone removed roof tiles and tore the interior fabric inside the roof cavity.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 9 'Black history should be celebrated every month, not just in October'
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
Luke Giugno, 27, of Farley Hill Road, Luton, has been charged with this and 10 other burglaries, as well as possession of cannabis.
He was remanded in custody when he appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on Saturday, and is due to appear at St Albans Crown Court on May 16.