Cash cascade for community groups
A CASH boost of �100,000 has been given to Stevenage community groups.
That is the amount which has been awarded in grant funding from the borough council’s local community budget.
From athletics clubs to the Stevenage Allotment Association, the grant has supported a wide range of organisations working to improve the town.
Each ward councillor has �3,300 per financial year to support local organisations and community projects. Representatives of local groups can apply direct to their councillor for a share of the budget.
Most recently, Stevenage choir Just Sing! were awarded �650 for new equipment. Janis Hall, group membership secretary, said: “Singing is a great way of bringing the community together.
“We’d like to encourage more people to join us so that we can really play our part in community events and take music to people who are more isolated. The funding for new equipment will be a big help.”
Council executive member for community health and older people, Sherma Batson, said: “It’s important that we do everything that we can to support local organisations, particularly in this difficult financial climate, and these grants are a great way of providing community groups with the funding boost they need.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
“Maybe you need help funding a community activity or project? You can apply for help from your local councillor through the local community budget.”
For more information, visit Stevenage.gov.uk or contact the council’s neighbourhood development team on 01438 242913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org