Cash cascade for community groups
A CASH boost of �100,000 has been given to Stevenage community groups.
That is the amount which has been awarded in grant funding from the borough council’s local community budget.
From athletics clubs to the Stevenage Allotment Association, the grant has supported a wide range of organisations working to improve the town.
Each ward councillor has �3,300 per financial year to support local organisations and community projects. Representatives of local groups can apply direct to their councillor for a share of the budget.
Most recently, Stevenage choir Just Sing! were awarded �650 for new equipment. Janis Hall, group membership secretary, said: “Singing is a great way of bringing the community together.
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to encourage more people to join us so that we can really play our part in community events and take music to people who are more isolated. The funding for new equipment will be a big help.”
Council executive member for community health and older people, Sherma Batson, said: “It’s important that we do everything that we can to support local organisations, particularly in this difficult financial climate, and these grants are a great way of providing community groups with the funding boost they need.
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 9 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
“Maybe you need help funding a community activity or project? You can apply for help from your local councillor through the local community budget.”
For more information, visit Stevenage.gov.uk or contact the council’s neighbourhood development team on 01438 242913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org