Carpet team’s deep pile of cash for North Herts hospice
- Credit: Archant
A carpet and flooring firm which picked the Garden House Hospice as its charity of the year has made a pile of cash for the cause.
Charles Wilson Carpets is a long-standing supporter of the Letchworth-based hospice, which provides care for patients and families across North Herts and Stevenage.
But over the last 12 months it has made an extra push.
A big chunk of the cash came from the sale of off-cuts and carpet samples which would otherwise have gone to landfill, with all the proceeds going directly to the hospice.
But most came from a promise to donate £10 from every order over £1,000 into the pot, which added nearly £1,900.
You may also want to watch:
Charity donation boxes sent out to potential customers with samples of carpet, as well as the donation of a 30 square metre carpet, along with the labour to fit it, to the hospice’s Christmas raffle – which was won by a delighted hospice supporter from Royston – also supported the cause.
Manager Helen Wilson, the daughter-in-law of Charles Wilson who established the Hermitage Road-based Hitchin, business in 1972, said: “We chose to support the hospice as they do such great work.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
“We have personally known a number of people that have received excellent care from the hospice.”
Through this series of fundraising initiatives, Helen and her team have raised a total of £2,686.
The firm plans to continue supporting the hospice – it carpeted the good causes chain of charity shops in Stevenage, Hitchin, Royston, Letchworth and Baldock – as well as nominating another charity of the year.
The hospice is marking its 25th anniversary with a string of celebratory initiatives, and its next big fundraiser is September’s Starlight Walk – find out more about the event and how to sign up at www.ghhospice.co.uk.