Car blaze in valley
POLICE are appealing for witnesses after five trees were damaged and a car set alight in a field in Stevenage last week. At some point on Thursday evening, a vehicle was driven at speed around Fairlands Valley Showground site, churning up the ground and d
POLICE are appealing for witnesses after five trees were damaged and a car set alight in a field in Stevenage last week.
At some point on Thursday evening, a vehicle was driven at speed around Fairlands Valley Showground site, churning up the ground and damaging a newly planted tree.
Four further newly planted trees are believed to have been ripped out of the ground by hand.
A 26-year-old man from Stevenage has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage in relation to the trees.
You may also want to watch:
Just before 10.30pm on the same evening, firefighters were called to the Showground site to reports of a car well alight in the field.
It took half an hour to extinguish the fire and the cause was noted as doubtful, which means arson is a possibility.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
A spokesman for Herts Police said: "We believe the two incidents could be linked."
The arrested man has been bailed until August 17 while investigations continue.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, or for anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area that evening, to come forward. Call the non-emergency number on 0845 3300 222.