Cancer survivor to launch naked calendar for charity
BRAVE Comet country citizens bared all in a naked calendar for charity, in a feat which was organised and photographed by a breast cancer survivor.
Diane Martin, 60, of Bedford Road, Henlow, was diagnosed with the disease in 1996, and subsequently lost the vision in her right eye.
She could go blind in her left eye too but refuses to get angry about it and instead has decided to make the calendar to raise money for the Peacock Butterfly Appeal, a charity which raises awareness in young adults about breast and testicular cancer.
“I don’t want sympathy. I’m a survivor, and I’m alive,” said Diane, who had a double mastectomy a few years ago.
“I am only an amateur photographer but it’s my passion. This could be my last calendar, which will break my heart.
“I want to get the message through to all young adults worldwide. I need people to open that door for me. I believe that early detection can help save lives because it did mine.”
Diane rounded up volunteers from the area and took photographs in a range of locations including Stoke City’s football ground the Britannia Stadium.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 4 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 9 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 10 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
Here, Richard Miller and Darren Couchman, who founded the Testicular Tour group, pose naked using props to cover their modesty.
Pregnant Alice Harrington Smith of Westmill Estate in Hitchin also features in a photograph with boyfriend Daniel Eversley, and staff and friends of Mother Browns nightclub in Hitchin courageously stripped to their underwear in one photograph.
“It was a brave thing to do, and I’m so grateful to everybody that took part,” said Diane.
“I want to spread the message now. It’s so important that people check themselves regularly.”
The calendar also features messages from celebrities, including GMTV’s Lorraine Kelly.
It will launch Friday November 26 from 7.30pm at The Bird in Hand, Gosmore, Hitchin. To purchase, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Calendars cost �7, plus postage and packaging.