Campton firework company finish second in national championships
- Credit: Archant
A Campton fireworks company has finished second in the British Firework Championship after a set of dazzling displays.
Fully Fused Fireworks won the first night of the two-day competition in Plymouth Harbour last week – narrowly missing out on overall victory to the winners of the second night, Illuision Fireworks.
Speaking to the Comet about the competition, Fully Fused designer Cliff Stonestreet said: “Each competitor creates a show that must last exactly 10 minutes to avoid penalties.
“We’re used to having strict times to adhere to, because we create a lot of firework shows for weddings, family celebrations and even big civic and corporate events.
“It’s then down to the adjudicators to oversee our practices and how we adhere to regulations.
“The judges consider content, tempo and originality.
“Everything we did – from design and logistics to rigging and firing – helped us get the win on the night.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 8 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
“We were only disappointed that the winners on the second night just beat us on points.”
Fully Fused’s show took the team’s 11 experts 10 hours to rig and test, with 1,268 individual products used.
Each of these contained between one and 680 fireworks.
“We used matching colours to achieve walls of ever-changing light over the water on Plymouth Sound,” said Cliff.
“The design is the easy part for me – we then had to await delivery of all the products and then prepare the stock in our licensed factory and box it all up in advance of rigging and firing.”
The British Firework Championship is an annual event that has been held since 1997 and is designed to celebrate the best in outdoor events industry.
The event has been held every year despite varying weather conditions, and even a Second World War bomb being found on the site.
Six professional companies are invited to display their fireworks – with three performing per night – attracting a crowd of around 200,000 each year.
Fully Fused Fireworks and sister company FTF Worldwide Event Management offer displays to weddings, concerts and more.