Community group calls for support in bid to buy Knebworth pub
- Credit: Archant
A village pub at the centre of a two-year campaign to save it from developers has been put on the market, with a community group looking to buy it.
The Station in Knebworth, which closed in February 2017, has been brought to the market through business property adviser Christie and Co, with an asking price of £595,000.
In January, an appeal by developer Market Homes against North Herts District Council’s decision to refuse planning permission for flats to be built in the pub’s garden was upheld by the Planning Inspectorate.
Following a four-day public inquiry, Market Homes was given the green light to erect a three-storey building to provide nine two-bed flats, and convert an existing store into a one-bed house.
As part of the decision, the planning inspector imposed the condition that the ground floor of The Station must be used as a pub and for no other purpose.
You may also want to watch:
North Herts District Council had refused the planning application last May on grounds which included poor design and layout.
The developer always insisted the plans included reopening the pub on Station Approach, but campaign group Save Our Station Pub was concerned the close proximity of the development would make this unviable.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
Now the pub building - with a garden for up to 50 covers - and the land are up for sale separately.
As both are listed as Assets of Community Value, community groups have six weeks to request in writing to be treated as a potential buyer.
If such a request is received, the group will have six months to develop a proposal and raise the money required to bid to buy the asset.
The Save Our Station Pub group is looking to buy the building. Campaigner Lisa Nash said: “The group intends to bid for the pub but, before we make a decision, we want to confirm we have sufficient financial and volunteer support from the community to make this a reality.
“We will, therefore, be holding a public meeting on March 18 at Knebworth Village Hall at 8.30pm.
“As the campaign moves to a new phase we need the commitment of additional active volunteers and financial backing to create a viable proposition and bid successfully.
“Please get in touch now via email@example.com or at the event if you are willing to join us.”