Cambridge fans rip up seats at Lamex Stadium during big match defeat against Boro
VISITING Cambridge United fans caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage at the Lamex Stadium last night as their side lost a crucial and highly charged game against Stevenage Boro 2-1. A Boro steward was also knocked to the ground as United fans complain
VISITING Cambridge United fans caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage at the Lamex Stadium last night as their side lost a crucial and highly charged game against Stevenage Boro 2-1.
A Boro steward was also knocked to the ground as United fans complained about being crushed at the front of the away stand and forced open a gate to get on to the area between the goal and the corner flag.
The steward was helped away and treated by St John's Ambulance officials but did not need hospital treatment.
This morning the full extent of the damage in the away stand was revealed with 10 seats ripped from their concrete bases and two advertising boards torn down and damaged.
You may also want to watch:
"We are accessing the cost of the damage and work on repairs will be carried out immediately," said Boro secretary Roger Austin.
"We think the problems were caused by United fans who had been banned from their own Abbey stadium but we will be sending Cambridge a bill for the damage.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation