Calls grow for resignation after Conservative councillor’s bizarre Donald Trump-style rant refusing to hand back pay rise he voted himself
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
Calls are growing for a politician who engaged in a bizarre Donald Trump-style rant to resign after shouting aggressively in a public meeting in Letchworth last night.
An online petition calling on Councillor David Barnard to resign has been set up this morning after opposition grows against Conservative councillors from North Herts District Council voting themselves between 11 and 19 per cent pay rises last month.
Councillor Barnard – who claimed nearly £14,000 in special allowances and expenses from the district council for the tax year 2015/16, as well as a further basic allowance of £9,684 from Herts County Council for 2014/15 – stunned the audience at last night’s district council’s budget meeting in the historic Spirella Building.
Speaking to a shocked auditorium he shouted: “I will not return my pay rise.”
Martin Burke, member of the North Herts People’s Assembly, has launched the petition which said: “We call on Councillor Barnard to step down.
You may also want to watch:
“Resign your position, public will demands it.”
Referring to the pay rise Mr Barnard voted himself, the petition stated: “Public sector workers within North Herts District Council are making do with a one per cent pay increase while he has voted for in excess of 10 per cent for himself.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
Mr Barnard has yet to respond.
You can sign Martin’s petition here