Call for volunteers to help with The Big Hitchin Tidy Up
- Credit: Archant
A town clean-up campaign has received a welcome boost from volunteers after being featured in last week’s Comet.
The Big Hitchin Tidy Up takes place across the town on Sunday, April 6, and there is still time to get involved.
On the back of a successful campaign last spring, this year’s effort is being organised by Hitchin Forum.
“Within hours of the Comet being published last Thursday, offers to help were coming in,” said Ellie Clarke, who is helping coordinate the clean up on behalf of Hitchin Forum.
“We hope to have even more people participating than last year. It proved so successful because we had tremendous external support.
You may also want to watch:
“We had excellent support from North Hertfordshire District Council which provided black bags and promptly collected the full bags afterwards. Hitchin Initiative gave us further support and publicity and the Comet supported and publicised our campaign.”
Fellow organiser Judith Gurney added: “We were delighted last year that so many people joined in. In the end, we counted 120 volunteers aged from four years to 80 who cleaned up 11 sites. Everyone commented on having a great time and making a huge difference in their areas.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“Whether people want to join in with an organised group, or tackle their own roads along with their neighbours, we want to hear from them. This is a chance to really clean up the town before the summer when people are likely to be out and about more.”
The coordinated effort runs in Hitchin between 10am until midday, although people are free to collect rubbish independently.
Hitchin Forum can provide litter pickers and large bags for collecting rubbish.
If you would like to join in email email@example.com or visit www.hitchinforum.org.uk for more information.