Call for runners ahead of Hitchin’s Shrove Tuesday Pancake Races
- Credit: Archant
Shrove Tuesday’s just a few weeks away – and the call’s gone out for would-be runners in Hitchin’s Pancake Races.
The races, organised by the town’s Priory Rotary Club and now in their 20th year, will run in the grounds of St Mary’s Church on February 13, starting at 11.30am.
There are three categories – ladies, gentlemen and fancy dress – with plastic pancakes supplied. Runners need only bring a frying pan.
There are prizes for first and second place in each race, as well as two prizes for fancy dress.
Runners must be 18 or over, and should be sponsored. All funds raised go to Garden House Hospice Care, which supports those with life-limiting illnesses across North Herts and Stevenage.
You may also want to watch:
The entry fee of £10 per runner is refundable on request if the runner raises more than £40.
Memorable costumes last year included the 118 118 outfits donned by Nick Davies and Steven Haynes – so could you do better this year?
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 8 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
Entries must be with Rotary’s Mike Mackenzie by Wednesday, January 31. For more, call 01462 623220.