Call for new ice age
A KEEN skater has launched a campaign to get an ice rink back in Stevenage. Melanie Hawker, 29, of Ulswater Close, Stevenage, has set up a petition to replace the rink which was shut down in the late 1990s. Miss Hawker thinks it would help deal with nuisa
A KEEN skater has launched a campaign to get an ice rink back in Stevenage.
Melanie Hawker, 29, of Ulswater Close, Stevenage, has set up a petition to replace the rink which was shut down in the late 1990s.
Miss Hawker thinks it would help deal with nuisance youths by giving young people something to do, and would also bring people into the town.
She said: "With the town growing and developing as it is we've got a lot of people living here but not the facilities to meet their needs."
You may also want to watch:
Miss Hawker currently travels to Milton Keynes twice a month to skate.
"It's fantastic exercise, it's really good fun.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
"It's really relaxing," she said.
So far her petition has attracted 150 signatures, as well as the support of MP Barbara Follett.
Mrs Follett said: "I think there's a real demand for an ice rink in Stevenage.
I am happy to back it to the hilt."
To sign the petition online, visit www.gopetition.com/online/9920