Call for ‘missing’ women to race against cancer
Women are being urged to seize their last chance to enter this year’s Stevenage Race for Life to help fight cancer.
Over 2,300 fundraisers have signed up for the women-only Cancer Research event at Fairlands Valley Park on Sunday, July 24. But take up is slower than expected with 2,000 spaces still available for the 5k event and 650 available for the 10k.
Lucy Hynes, event manager for the race, said: “We are very grateful to all the women who have already entered Race for Life in Stevenage but we urgently need many more. With just weeks to go until the event day, there are still loads of places to fill.
“We are issuing an urgent rallying call to the town’s ‘missing’ women. We hope they will hear our plea and register as soon as possible. We need them to step forward and be counted. Together, they will help us create a fantastic atmosphere on the day and every step they take will help doctors, nurses and scientists take major strides forward in research.”
Organisers are calling on mums, daughters, grannies, sisters, friends and workmates to enter as soon as possible as entry for the event closes on July 20.
You may also want to watch:
Participants can boost their contribution to Cancer Research UK’s work by doing a ‘wardrobe work-out’ before the event. The charity is encouraging runners and walkers to sort out and bag up clothes, books and accessories they no longer use and take them to the donation station at the event. By doing this each participant could help raise as much as an extra �30 for research, organisers said.
Last year 2,745 women took part in the traditionally pink-themed event raising �168,712 for research into the disease.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
To sign up go to www.raceforlife.org