Call for girl power as registration opens for this year’s Stevenage Race for Life
- Credit: Archant
Girl power is being called upon to help tackle cancer, with registration for this year’s women-only Race for Life now open.
Women of all ages and abilites are being urged to sign up for Cancer Research UK’s 5km or 10km event at Stevenage’s Fairlands Valley Park on Sunday, July 8, with 30 per cent off entry fees throughout January.
Courtney Culverhouse, the charity’s event manager for Hertfordshire, said: “January is the perfect time for women to commit to getting a little more active in 2018 by signing up for Race for Life and taking on a new fitness challenge, and it offers the ultimate motivation because participants will be helping to fund vital cancer research.”
She added: “Taking part in Race for Life is a hugely moving experience. It’s a special opportunity for people to come together to remember loved ones lost to cancer or celebrate the lives of those dear to them who have survived.”
Dr Áine McCarthy, Cancer Research UK’s senior science communications officer, said: “Being regularly active has long-term health benefits, as research shows that even moderate physical activity can help to reduce the risk of cancer. Brisk walking counts - anything that gets you warm and a little out of breath.
You may also want to watch:
“By taking part and raising money, women in Stevenage will also be supporting our scientists and researchers to make vital strides forward in research.”
One in two people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer at some stage in their lives, but the good news is that cancer survival has doubled in the UK since the early 1970s.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
Courtney said: “Race for Life events are non-competitive and participants can choose to walk, jog or run around the course. Whether they plan to pound the pavements or stroll to the finish, every step women take will help to support our life-saving research.”
There will also be a half-marathon held at Lee Valley Regional Park on Sunday, October 7.
Entry for the 5km or 10km event is £10 for children and £14.99 for adults, and entry for the half-marathon is £29.99. To sign up, visit www.raceforlife.org or call 0300 123 0770.
Men and women can also visit the website to sign up as a helper on the day.