Cadets get fell in to raise bags of cash for Stevenage hospital at Letchworth store
- Credit: Archant
Generous shoppers have helped bag-packing army cadets buy hundreds of pounds worth of toys for sick children at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital.
Members of Letchworth’s Army Cadet Force detachment raised an impressive £800 when they spent a day packing bags at the Sainsbury’s store in Third Avenue.
The cadets, aged between 13 and 18, decided to donate £300 of the money to the Magic of Play appeal, run by the East and North Herts Hospitals’ Charity.
The money will be used to buy toys for young patients on the children’s ward.
Detachment commander Sophie Fye said the members of the Icknield Way unit chose to help the appeal because they wanted to improve play facilities for young hospital patients.
She added: “They worked incredibly hard and we were very impressed with how much money they raised. We are delighted to be able to help such a good cause and we hope the new playroom at the Lister will make the stay in hospital much better for all the local children who have to use the facility.”
Charity fundraiser Zoe Doherty said: “We are thrilled that the army cadets chose to support our charity and we are very grateful for their donation. A big thank you to all the cadets who worked so hard on the day.”
- 1 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 2 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 3 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 4 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
- 5 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 6 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 7 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 10 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
The rest of the money will be spent on new equipment for the detachment. The ACF is open to anyone aged between 12 and 18 and also recruits adult volunteers – for more call 01992 582423.