CAB staff to recall the early days
IT was a long time ago, but can you recall what you were doing in July 1956? In Stevenage a group of determined volunteers were opening the first Citizens Advice Bureau in the town. Fifty years on, the present staff and volunteers are getting ready to com
IT was a long time ago, but can you recall what you were doing in July 1956?
In Stevenage a group of determined volunteers were opening the first Citizens Advice Bureau in the town.
Fifty years on, the present staff and volunteers are getting ready to commemorate the golden jubilee and would love to hear from anyone who can share a memory of the early days.
Marian Hurle, present director of the bureau, is intrigued at the prospect of meeting her predecessors.
You may also want to watch:
"Of course I have the written records of management meetings and AGMs," she said, "but human people are at the heart of CAB's work and to get the real flavour of those early days we would like to hear from those who can tell it like it was.
"It is amazing to think how long we've been going - and naturally time will have had its way with many of the first volunteers and clients, but there may still be one or two out there who could share a memory with us."
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
She added: "I would like to appeal to anyone - volunteer, client or staff - who has a memory of the first 10 years of Stevenage CAB to get in touch. Naturally they will understand that our phone lines are very busy, and current clients must have priority - so I am asking people not to telephone but to either write to us at Stevenage CAB, Swingate, Stevenage SG1 1AF or as 'silver surfers' to email at firstname.lastname@example.org They should include an address and phone number and we will be delighted to contact them.
* For people seeking advice, the CAB office in Swingate House is open weekdays (excluding Thursdays) from 9.15am to noon. The phone number is 0845 120 3789 and the website is www.adviceguide.org.uk