Want to protect your business from fire? It’s pretty simple, Herts firms are told
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have taken a safe and simple route to spreading the word to businesses about how best to protect themselves.
The Herts Fire & Rescue service drive urges firms to take six SIMPLE steps, including:
Store stock safely – keep all corridors, stairs and exits clear.
Identify fire alarm points so you can warn others.
Make sure doors are closed to stop fires from spreading.
Place things that catch fire away from things that cause fire.
Let someone know if you spot fire safety problems.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
Ensure everyone knows what to do if the fire alarm sounds.
There were 7,700 recorded fires in commercial, retail or industrial premises in the UK in 2013/14. Many businesses don’t survive a fire, and those that do still face significant financial losses.
Councillor Richard Thake, Herts County Council’s cabinet member for community safety, said: “At this time of year, when businesses have more staff, more stock, and more customers, it’s particularly important everyone knows the simple steps to keep themselves, customers and colleagues safe.”