Veolia picks up Queen’s Award for sustainability
- Credit: Archant
Veolia has been named as a winner of a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Sustainable Development, the UK’s highest accolade for business success.
The award was received for setting the sustainability benchmark and its new business strategy which focuses on manufacturing green energy and calories and places it at the centre of the circular economy.
The company, which has operations across Hertfordshire, recycles over one million tonnes of waste annually and converts non-recyclable waste into energy sufficient to provide electricity and heat to over 300,000 homes.
Estelle Brachlianoff, Veolia environnement executive vice-president UK & Ireland, said: “It is an honour to be recognised by Her Majesty the Queen for the work we have done over the last five years transforming the business.
“This award highlights the work all 14,000 members of staff have undertaken to continue to drive the business forward – for us sustainability is not part of our business, it is our business.”
You may also want to watch:
Approximately 160 Queen’s Awards have been announced this year for outstanding business achievement in the fields of International Trade, Innovation and Sustainable Development.
The awards are made annually by HM The Queen, and are only given for the highest levels of excellence demonstrated in each category.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema