Stevenage fish and chippy up for best in England
A fish and chip shop has been chosen to batter it out for the title of best independent chippy in England.
WJ Rowe at the Bedwell neighbourhood shops in Stevenage is in plaice to net the top award after being selected as a regional finalist in the National Fish and Chip Shop Awards for the second year running.
The shop is one of just three selected in the central and south England area for the 24th annual award. Each shortlisted shop will be visited unannounced by an industry expert who will judge a range of criteria including food quality, customer service, sustainable sourcing and community involvement, before three finalists are chosen in mid October.
William Rowe, owner of the family-run shop which opened in 1962, said: “It’s such an achievement considering what we are – a local community fish shop. To get recognised as one of the top three in six counties, I’m so proud.”
The chippy has not only served the community for nearly 50 years but also sponsors groups in the town including Hurricanes FC, Stevenage Rugby Club under-16s and children suffering from breathing problems as well as helping families with financial difficulties to go on holiday.
You may also want to watch:
William added: “We are lucky enough to be healthy and the business is doing OK at the moment, it should be shared around a little.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising