Stevenage Debenhams named best new retail store in the UK
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage’s Debenhams was last night crowned the best new retail store in the UK at a national industry awards ceremony.
The store, on the town’s Roaring Meg retail park, won the award at the 23rd annual Retail Week Awards.
The 80,000-square-foot store, which opened in August last year, was the first in Debenhams site to showcase the retailer’s new redesigned strategy.
On the strategy, the firm said: “It aims to make shopping confidence boosting, sociable and fun and this is something which can be seen throughout the store.
“From how the space is planned to the fixtures used, the store design is exclusive to Stevenage so much so that there isn’t a single fitting there that can be found in any other Debenhams.”
Stevenage Debenhams manager Gail Chandler said: “We are thrilled to win the Best New Store award. Since opening, the team and I have thoroughly enjoyed welcoming the local community to their new-style Debenhams store.”
The store employs 80 people from the Stevenage area and features a beauty hall containing eight cosmetic houses, including Kat Von D, Urban Decay and Benefit – as well as curated Designers at Debenhams ranges.
- 1 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 2 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 Residents encouraged to have their say on Stevenage's new political map
- 10 Council backs master plan for further expansion of Luton Airport
There are also branches of Nando’s, Creams, Patisserie Valerie and Costa Coffee.